Thursday, April 21, 2011

Removing Keys

I did do a search on older threads, but most seemed to address using compressed air or fully disassembling the laptop in order to get under the keys.



Neither of these is an option for me because a) compressed air won't do anything to get rid of the STICKY D: and b ) I don't have a screwdriver lol.



So.



Easy question:



Is it feasible to pop off the keys to a chiclet style keyboard and then reattach them? I would totally try this with a worthless key just to see what the underside looks like, but when I tried looking for a key to test it on, I realized I use all of them o___o.



For what it's worth, I have an HP dm4t, I spilled some juice from those asian jellies underneath here, and my keys of sticky doom are r, f, d, and v :'(.

Reply 1 : Removing Keys

You could try Rubbing alcohol on a cloth and scrubbing the keys, enough to get some of the alcohol between the spaces which would mostly dissolve the stuff... just make sure you turn off the computer before you do that.

Reply 2 : Removing Keys

In addition I would buy the screwdriver and take the laptop apart.



Personally I use fuel meant for alcohol stoves, it's pretty much same stuff as rubbing alcohol but I can pick it up from the nearest gas station.



If you take the laptop apart, you can really soak the jammed keys. Those alcohol based fluids evaporate fast, just a gentle blow and keyboard is practically dry again.



Also a friendly reminder: wash your hands well afterwards and do not eat anything with fingers for rest of the day. If you don't believe me, just try

Reply 3 : Removing Keys

Actually, I think intentional dismantling is out of the question. I have an extended warranty on this thing that still has a year and a half to go. Too bad it didn't cover spill damage >.<.



I tried lifting the keys as much as possible and wiping a paper towel with rubbing alcohol on it, but it didnt have enough scrubbing action to get at the stick D:



Any other tips on removing the keys?

Reply 4 : Removing Keys

Yes you can just remove the black cover of the key and you will have 2 white pieces of plastic under it and you can clean it (make sure you use rubbing alcohol) and then just place the key where it is suppose to be and press down and it will snap it back on. when you take it off make sure you left from left side to the right or right side to the left dont go up and down

Reply 5 : Removing Keys

So I got my friend who's handy at computers to remove all the keys that were causing problems. I then used a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol to clean up the top of the hinge, but I felt like a lot of the problem was underneath the hinge where the fat cotton swab couldn't reach. So I used the ony thin thing I had - a needle - to stat scraping away. BAD IDEA to anyone else who tries this DONT USE SOMETHING THAT CAN SCRATCH STUFF. It really messed up my keyboard temporarily to the point where I thought I'd have to either remap everything, or get a brand new keyboard entirely.



Now it's fixed itself a little bit (somehow, I have no idea though). Only major problem is that my capslock light is ALWAYS on (even though capslock itself is not; and pressing capslock still works but the light just doesn't change). And a few of my keys are still a little sticky. But I'd much rather deal with this than risk the whole keyboard problem I went through before.



The end . Good luck if this happens to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment